Monday, October 11, 2004

The Moral Compass and the Great Divide

I've been pondering this whole idea of "The Great Divide" for a while now. It has been expressed that Conservative vs Liberal is like Adult vs Teenager, or Responsible vs Irrisponsible. I have been thinking along these lines as well, but if I look at it from a Christian perspective, it takes on a different twist.

I've been doing a study on the moder culture and how it is influencing the church, and I think it parallels this election cycle more than any other time. As Christians, we are taught to "Be in the world, but not of the world", yet, there is more and more of "the world" in the church today. We have watered down the message of sin to make it more palatable to the culture. We have watered down the message of judgement to make it more palatable to the culture. We are teaching that God is a great grandfather who pats us on the head when we sin and tells us "it OK, I understand."

God does understand that we are siners, that's why He provided the only means to salvation through Jesus. It's not that sin is OK, but rather that sin is here with us and we have no way out save His saving grace. What does this have to do with "The Great Divide"? Everything.

I see the left being more and more out of control morally. It seems that the ends are justifying the means in more and more cases. We have union thugs rampaging against a Republican office. We have thugs tearing up a little girl's sign, we have a man getting slugged, and many, many more. I believe there is a moral declination happening that is spiraling faster and faster and has no way, other than Divine intervention, to stop. The Left has told us for decades now that morals are relative. That the concept of "right" and "wrong" are outdated and antiquated. Rather, what's right for me, as long as it harms no one, is right. If it's wrong for you? Well, that's your business.

Without a standard moral compass, where can the culture be going? A ship without a rudder still sails, but it is erradic and open to be blown by whatever wind comes. This is how I see the Left. They are without a solid moral compass. Yes, they have a compass, but it is not standard, it is based upon eeach one's indivisual "feelings" and "experiences".

Here's an example. I was debating with a liberal friend the concept of right and wrong. She stated that her guiding philosophy was "to do no harm to anyone". My natural question was: "How do you know when you're doing harm?" She was incredulous. Of course, everyone knows what "right" and "wrong" is. So I asked if telling a woman she looked nice did her harm. She did not think so. "But what if", I asked, "if that woman had recently been victomized by a man, and I , as a man, by saying she looked nice, caused her to flash back to that terrible experience?" Had I done her harm? Possibly. Was it "wrong" to tell her she looked nice? I don't think so.

But again, without a solid moral compass, there is nothing guiding the ship. Without a guide, whatever is good for me has to be good. So we have those on the left seeing GWB as evil incarnate. ANYTHING is permissable as long as the goal of getting him out of office is achieved. If this means scaring people into not voting, all the better. There is a certain superiority in "knowing" what you are doing is right and just and the commoners just don't know what's good for them.

Am I saying I would like to go back to the 18th century in terms of morals? Maybe, but I don't pretend that it is even possible. What I would like to see is Christians speaking out more on moral issues and making their voices heard. If we belive that there is a basis for morality and righteousness, then we should "put our money where our mouth is" and take that chance to speak up.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home